Thursday, December 31, 2009

Wine I'm drinking - d'Arenberg The Peppermint Paddock Sparkling Chambourcin


One word. YUM!

Oh, okay, maybe two words. YUM, YUM!

Alright, maybe a few more. Chambourcin is apparently a "hybrid grape variety of unknown parentage." Who knew? I didn't. Who cares? I suppose I do.

But this is just delicious. You know as soon as you pour it into the glass that everything should be pretty right with the wine. The colour is rich and dense, with a lovely red foam.

As is typical of sparkling red wines, the bubbles don't really persist very strongly for very long.

There is sweet fruit and licorice on the nose and this is only accentuated in the mouth, the colour indeed being a harbinger of depth and concentration on the palate.

But it finishes dry and refreshing.

This is one of the best sparkling reds I've had in a long time, and reasonably priced to boot.

If you've never had one, you have so far missed out on one of life's more wonderful simple pleasures.

Posted via email from Garth's posterous

1 comment:

Teddy said...

I'm so glad someone else enjoyed the D'Arenberg as much as I did, especially relative to price. A very under-rated sparkling for mine!