Monday, August 30, 2010

Confessions of a young monarchist

From The Punch:

When I was in my first year of university I consented to attending some forum where politicians talk to young people about politics and spirituality. This was achieved through a combination of hassling by my parents, and an idea that I may be able to pick up some attractive young female leader type impressed with my attendance at such a deep thinking event.

Isn't he just dreamy? Prince William in Australia last year
Isn't he just dreamy? Prince William in Australia last year

Having entered the room and scanned through the earnest polar fleeced mini-lawyers, I quickly realised this was an asexual event more concerned with signing up for the Liberal or the Labor Right, and as such, planned to quietly head back down to the bar where the demarcation between male and female was more obvious and less sober. Unfortunately I was spotted by a friendly tutor who was happy one of his students had turned up, so I stuck around and we were introduced to that week’s guest speaker: Tony Abbott MP.

I can’t remember much of what was said, except for the fact that afterwards at dinner Tony and I got into an argument about the prospect of an Australian republic.

It was only a year since the failed referendum of 1999 and it was still something students would bother talking about. Abbott was impressive as much for the fact that he wasn’t condescending when arguing with a student - he just let you have it like he would anyone else.

Abbott’s arguments for maintaining a monarchy in Australia haven’t changed over the years. They are best summed up as “if ain’t broke don’t’ fix it.” At one point Abbott said to me: “I’m a Manly fan, becoming a republic makes as much sense as switching the team I go for.”

Besides wanting to point out that Manly are team for tossers, it struck me that Abbott’s argument for not becoming a republic also summed up this man’s brand of conservatism. I disappeared into the night, smug in the assessment that my support for a republic was evidence of a more open mind.

But ten years on I am really having doubts about my desire for a republic, and if yesterday’s Fairfax poll is anything to go by, so are most people.

 

Full article here.

 

Posted via email from Garth's posterous

3 comments:

M男 said...

女性に侮辱されたり罵られて興奮してしまうM男は集まれ!アナタのM度を測れるサイトが誕生!M男チェッカーで自分に合うプレーを探しましょう!あなたはどんなプレイがお好みですか?

童貞 said...

早く童貞を捨てたいと思っているあなたにピッタリのサイトが誕生!このサイトで長年守っていたあなたの童貞がついに奪われる!?あなたの童貞卒業を優しくサポートしちゃいます☆

おっぱい said...

おっぱいにこだわりを持つおっぱいマニア必見!あなたが思う最高のおっぱいとは?たった15の質問で乳首の色から形・大きさまであなたの望む最高のおっぱいが暴かれるチョイエロ診断です!