Saturday, May 2, 2009

St Peter ponders a holy mystery

Costello preys on St Kevin's miracle

May 02, 2009
 

Peter Costello, launching Peter Hartcher's book To the Bitter End in Canberra this week, expresses amazement at The Australian Financial Review's naivety

 

I AM astounded that the Government, after $100 billion in new discretionary spending since the last election, is briefing to the effect that it is making really hard decisions to save money in the budget. I am even more astounded that this is being seriously reported.
 
One would think that if it was necessary to save some money then some part of that $100 billion would not have been spent in the first place.
 
But obviously I don't understand these things.
 
That realisation dawned on me when I read the front page of the Easter edition of The Australian Financial Review which read as follows: "Rudd's big Easter surprise -- spending and saving at the same time." You can both spend and save at the same time? This truly is a holy mystery. I thought of it over Holy Week. It is something that I will dwell upon for a long time.
 
 

Posted via email from Garth's posterous

No comments: